Must be something in the water

Sunday, June 13, 2010

So I Guess the Fortune Teller's Right

I just read an interview with a former Navy submarine officer who is arguing that we should blow up the oil well. I don't really know the geology of that area or the dynamics of a system so far below the ocean surface, but I'd be interested to hear this fleshed out, along with an analysis of the possibility of it causing a much larger leak. Perhaps some research into the history of Russia's application of such techniques is in order.

But that's not the focus of this post. A few nights ago I had a dream about free frozen yogurt, only to wake up and find a groupon for froyo in my inbox. A week and a half ago, I got a fortune from a machine at the Musée Mécanique down at Fisherman's Wharf. It told me, "Have you been lonesome lately? I see your days of lonesomeness ending. The future holds a happy reunion with a loved one." The rest of the fortune was quite flattering, but the first part was the most important.

Enter Riley and Cathy! This past weekend marked the first post-work weekend in San Francisco, and I got to spend it with two friends from MIT, one a recent graduate and one working for Apple out in Cupertino (if you saw that facebook status, it was partially his idea).

We did the normal touring around, marching up and down hill after hill. And we then thought we'd end the day with another common activity-walking the Golden Gate Bridge. Well, it was sunset. It was beautiful. And then it was freezing. The wind had us hiding in the corners and any dead zone we could find to avoid the gusts of frigid wind blowing over the bridge. We arrived at the other side of the bridge only to find out that the buses had ceased for the day. Fortunately for us, we were able to get a ride from a Korean man working for Broadcom doing wifi development (coincidentally the company that supplies the wifi radios for Apple) who asked us to take a picture of him posing with the bridge in the background, and then we asked him for a ride back over the bridge. That is our interesting story for the weekend.

Well, that and the caricature we had drawn of us. So Cathy and Riley and I are sitting, posing for an elderly Asian man as he draws out a picture of us in marker. 10 minutes later he gives it to us. To our chagrin (or rather to our bemusement) each of our faces is identical to the others. I was distinguished by the peace signs I was making (that I hadn't been), and Cathy had her long hair. The funny thing is, I later realized that in this picture, Riley is the one in fact making the peace signs. So I guess we do sometimes look the same? And that that Asian guy was really seeing into our deepest essences!

...

Oh how I wish San Francisco had four seasons. Who can live without autumn in New England and a frigid morning to go shopping on Black Friday? Who can celebrate a warm Christmas that doesn't involve bundling up and huddling in the car on the way to family dinner? Either way, I have now decided that San Francisco might be where I go when I am done with school.

Bed time. See you soon!

1 Comments:

Blogger moxanot: said...

Let's start another gold rush!

July 7, 2010 at 9:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home