Must be something in the water

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Fashion, fitness, and Debating with Myself

I was on my way back from the gym this afternoon, and I was thinking about how much money some people spend on clothing, while here I was wearing nothing but a light tank top on shorts and running shoes. I don't think the shorts were very appealing, but-at the risk of sounding vain-I do think that I look better in fitted tank tops than almost anything else. Fitted t-shirts too, but I mean I look much better in jeans and a casual shirts than I do in suits. For awhile now I've had the philosophy that fashion comes and fashion goes, but a good...birthday suit...is always in style. Anyone can buy things to look nice, but at the end of the day how you yourself in your body look is how you look just after a shower. And then I thought to myself, why would people waste so much time and effort working to afford such expensive clothes to cover themselves up when they could work less and spend more time working on their bodies so they could just look good in anything (or rather, not even have to cover up in clothes much at all)?

And on another note, fitness is a meritocratic system-yea you can be more or less born with it, but it's something for which anyone can work. You know all the arguments already: discipline, effort, etc.

But then I began to debate with myself, and thought about the friends I have and how their style of dress reflects their characters. And I started to go over the merits of fashion-creativity, coordination, art, inventiveness, self-expression. Fashion can be about looking good, yes, but it can also be so much more. Fashion can be about rebellion. Fashion can be about anger, self-defense. Fashion represents emotions. Fashion distinguishes people in ways that simple fitness cannot. It is more individualistic and independent.

Just a thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home